India Transit Visa: India is a common stopover for international flights due to its advantageous location. At the intersection of multiple flight routes, it functions as a gateway to both the East and the West. Many airlines have layovers in Indian airports for passengers travelling to Asia, Europe, and other international destinations. However, if you are an international traveller transiting India, you may be required to obtain a transit visa.
India transit visa
A transit visa for India is a transient travel authorization issued to foreign nationals transiting through India en route to another country. This form of visa allows travellers to transit through India with or without leaving the airport, depending on their mode of travel, for a brief period of time, usually not exceeding 72 hours. A transit visa allows two entries into India within fifteen days of issuance.
Who requires a transit visa for India?
Foreign nationals transiting through India are only required to obtain an Indian transit visa if they need to exit the transit area and clear customs, if they need to recheck their luggage for their final destination, or if they plan to spend the night in a nearby hotel before their connecting flight.
However, if the passenger intends to remain within the designated waiting area allocated for international transit passengers at the Indian airport and does not intend to cross the immigration controls at any point, an Indian transit visa is not required.
To apply for a transit visa for India, you must submit the following materials.
- online visa application form printed with uploaded photo
- prior passport and any other nationality passport (if applicable)
- For non-residents, verification of residence (more than two years) or a properly completed tax form is required.
- Documentation demonstrating the availability of sufficient funds for the sojourn in India
- documentation or proof of onward travel to a destination outside India
- All pages of the submitted documentation must be attested by the applicant.
- To be eligible for visa processing, your passport must be valid for at least 180 days and contain at least two vacant pages.
The transit visa for India is effective for 15 days, meaning that it must be used to transit through the country within 15 days of issuance. If the trip is not completed within this time frame, a new transit visa is required.
It permits you up to three days in the country. Double-entry transit visas allow for a three-day stay on each visit.
This visa cannot be extended except in the case of extraordinary emergencies such as a strike, traffic disruption, illness, etc.
To apply for an Indian transit visa online, please follow the steps outlined below.
- Visit the Visa Application system online
- Choose the Indian Mission where you intend to submit your visa application from the ‘Select Mission’ tab.
- After providing the requested information on the application form, it should be submitted.
- The system will then generate an Application ID automatically. Keep this Application ID for future correspondence with the Indian Mission
- The system will automatically inquire if you wish to schedule an appointment and pay online:
- If you wish to confirm your appointment, choose ‘Yes’.
Choose ‘No’ if you wish to carry a printout of the submitted online application form and visit the relevant Indian Mission for visa appointment booking and payment.
If you select ‘Yes’, the system will automatically redirect you to the page where you can select the date and time of your appointment at the relevant Indian Mission.
- Then, you will be redirected to the e-payment portal to pay the visa charge.
- The electronic payment option is not available at all Indian missions abroad. If the aforementioned facility is unavailable, please submit the application submission fees directly to the Mission or to the outsourcing agency, along with the supporting documents.
Processing cost and duration
Depending on the jurisdiction where the application is submitted, India’s transit visa application processing takes between 2 and 5 business days. Here you can verify the status of your visa application.
The cost of a transit visa for India may vary based on your nationality and the length of your stay. Typically, the expense is determined by the country of origin and the travel season. The fee for a transit visa that permits two entries and a maximum stay of up to three days per entry is typically up to USD 80.
Transit-related COVID regulations
Currently, India has abolished all travel restrictions related to COVID-19. Foreign passengers can transit through any Indian airport without undergoing COVID-19 testing or registering with Air Suvidha.
However, regardless of their departure point, all transit passengers will be subject to 2% random post-arrival testing at the airport.