On Sunday, more than 3 dozen CBI officials allegedly came to the house of Rajeev Kumar, Kolkata Police Commissioner regarding the probe in relation to a Ponzi scheme scam.
The Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, surrounded by her ministers and top party leaders organized a sit-in protest to CBI’s attempt at questioning the Kolkata Police Commissioner. She stayed up the night on a makeshift dais at Dharamtala area, near the Metro Channel.
Kumar head reportedly headed the Special Investigation Team (SIT) investigating into the Saradha and Rose Valley scams that saw the light in 2013.
Here is all you need to know about Rajeev Kumar and the cases surrounding the Kolkata Poice Commissioner
- Rajiv Kumar is an IPS officer of the 1989 batch.
- Rajiv Kumar’s family livess in Chandausi, where his father was a college professor.
- He has worked as the Police Commissioner at Bidhannagar Police Commissionerate
- Kumar has also worked as a Special Task Force (STF) chief for the Kolkata Police.
- Kumar had headed the Special Investigation Team (SIT) looking into the Saradha and Rose Valley scams.
- Kumar along with other officials were asked to help in the investigation after key documents allegedly went missing.
- Saradha scam is a financial scam that led to the downfall of Saradha Group’s Ponzi scheme. The Group had in the scam promised a hefty return ranging to 50 percent on an investment of a minimum of Rs 100, according to a media report.
- Rose Valley Scam was another Ponzi scam that surfaced. According to a 2017 report by News18, “the Rose Valley chit fund scam amounts to almost Rs 60,000 crore”.
- Interim CBI chief Nageshwar Rao alleged foul play, he had said, “there is evidence against him (Rajeev Kumar), he has been instrumental in causing destruction of this evidence and obstructing justice”, as quoted by news agency, ANI.